Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Help > General Zune Software

General Zune Software Ask for help regarding the Zune software. Zune Marketplace and Zune Pass issues also go here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
matthewjame5
Zewbie

matthewjame5 is on a distinguished road
Default Zune SW Play Count Not Updating

Like the title says, my Zune profile play count is not updating. I have been sitting at 10,268 plays for the past week...it should be somewhere around 10,400 or so. I did not do anything to the software itself in the last week or in the past month really. The play count would increase temporarily when songs would be played, but the profile album images do not change nor does the recently played list update. When I launch the software a couple hours later, the play count goes back to 10,268 and the process repeats.

I have searched for solutions, tried many, and so far nothing has worked. I have done a system restore (I have Win7 x64) with the restore point being 2 weeks ago from today. Nothing. Uninstalled/reinstalled the program. Nothing. Also, the "personalize your zune experience" checkbox under privacy settings in my account is checked.

So any ideas?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

NSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really nice

have you tried relinking your zune to your account?

Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
matthewjame5
Zewbie

that I have not done. Will give it a shot, thanks.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

I relinked my Zune HD and still no success. Any other suggestions?

Old 04-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
matthewjame5
Zewbie

Anyone? There has to be a fix to this. I just can't figure it out what it would be.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
RoboKombat
Squirt

RoboKombat is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm having the same problem as the original poster. Here's what's happening:

1) The "Plays" count on my Zune Card in the Zune Software only updates when I play music from my collection on the PC. Music that I play off the actual device, like when I'm at work all day, does not update the "Plays" on my Zune Card when I sync up the device at home.

2) The "Plays" count resets itself to zero after about 10 or 15 minutes it seems.

3) The "Recent" tab NEVER updates. Always says that I played no songs. The only thing that seems to work is the "Favorites" tab.

I did a lot of searching on the web for a solution. I tried all sorts of stuff, like uninstalling and reinstalling the software, changing Privacy settings (completely public), and relinking the device to my account. I even tried creating a new account.

The problem with this is that the Music Picks never change and pretty much anything to do with Zune Social is gimped. Please help! Thanks!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

NSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really niceNSILMike is just really nice

It may be a problem on the MS side... check your local playcounts (add that column in the songs view on the software.) I've a few similar complaints recently, and nothing fixes it (yet) which is why I wonder if the problem is with the zune site, not your local zune software.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
Leeroy Jenkins
TACOS WOOOOOO
Support Team

Leeroy Jenkins is just really niceLeeroy Jenkins is just really niceLeeroy Jenkins is just really nice

This happened to me once, the problem was fixed when i realized my zune was set to Guest syncing

Old 05-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
Charge
If I'm not online, I probably am
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Retired Staff
Holy Zuner

Charge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant future

Every time I close and re-open the Zune Software it resets my play count. Nothing I play on my Zune devices changes my play count.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
RoboKombat
Squirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
It may be a problem on the MS side... check your local playcounts (add that column in the songs view on the software.) I've a few similar complaints recently, and nothing fixes it (yet) which is why I wonder if the problem is with the zune site, not your local zune software.
I have that column in the songs view and it updates properly, but it's not reflected on my Zune Card unless the songs were played in the software (but then it resets after 15 mins so it could be a server issue)

Besides the possibility that this could be a MS related issue, how come the "Plays" on my Zune Card only updates (albeit gets reset eventually) when I play music from my Collection in the software, but NOT when I play music from my Zune HD device? It's just frustrating because most of my plays are off the device when I'm at work, so I rarely play songs from the software.

Thanks for your help guys. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboKombat View Post
I have that column in the songs view and it updates properly, but it's not reflected on my Zune Card unless the songs were played in the software (but then it resets after 15 mins so it could be a server issue)

Besides the possibility that this could be a MS related issue, how come the "Plays" on my Zune Card only updates (albeit gets reset eventually) when I play music from my Collection in the software, but NOT when I play music from my Zune HD device? It's just frustrating because most of my plays are off the device when I'm at work, so I rarely play songs from the software.

Thanks for your help guys. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
1) that's mostly normal. device plays should count too. resetting after 15 minutes is hard to blame on your software... I can't imagine that being anything other than a server problem. And, now that I've said that, we're jinxed...
2) you are guest sync'ing, or using manual sync... or ms side issues.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
RoboKombat
Squirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
1) that's mostly normal. device plays should count too. resetting after 15 minutes is hard to blame on your software... I can't imagine that being anything other than a server problem. And, now that I've said that, we're jinxed...
2) you are guest sync'ing, or using manual sync... or ms side issues.
What I'm saying is that the device plays are not counting on the Zune Card (but they do count in the songs column). Software plays count on the Zune Card (but they reset after some time anyways.. which we're agreeing is likely an MS issue) BUT, since the software plays are counting on the Zune Card, is the device non-counting issue really server related?

How do you guest sync? My device is linked to my profile and it automatically signs me in. I already tried relinking and even made a whole new Live account for testing. My music sync is set to "All".

I'm starting to consider completely resetting and erasing my device and software and just starting from scratch, but I'm afraid that might not help. Running out of options here :p

Thanks for trying to help out

Old 05-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

Quote:
What I'm saying is that the device plays are not counting on the Zune Card (but they do count in the songs column). Software plays count on the Zune Card (but they reset after some time anyways.. which we're agreeing is likely an MS issue) BUT, since the software plays are counting on the Zune Card, is the device non-counting issue really server related?

How do you guest sync? My device is linked to my profile and it automatically signs me in. I already tried relinking and even made a whole new Live account for testing. My music sync is set to "All".

I'm starting to consider completely resetting and erasing my device and software and just starting from scratch, but I'm afraid that might not help. Running out of options here :p

Thanks for trying to help out
1) The software reports plays up to the zune servers... I think it happens periodically and when you close the software. This is unrelated to the local playcount. So, your software could have a glitch that fails to do this, your firewall could be blocking it, or something is wrong on the MS side.
2) you guest sync by unlinking your zune to your zune software account, or by sync'ing on someone elses PC. Manual sync is effectively the same thing, but you can do it without unlinking. The point is that if you are guest linked, there's no way to know what profile to report the plays to. I would think it should work with manual sync though it might not since they are otherwise very similar.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
-musashi-
Zewbie

-musashi- is on a distinguished road

Has anyone played songs with their Zune connected to an Xbox and subsequently not had their play count updated when syncing with the software? This is whats been happening to me lately and I don't know if this is a bug with the Zune.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
RoboKombat
Squirt

Just letting everyone know that this problem seems to have fixed itself..

A few days ago, I ran the Zune Software and saw my play count jump from 0 to about 400. I looked at my Recent list and it had a bunch of songs that I hadn't played in forever, so I'm guessing it finally starting syncing stuff I listened to since the time I bought the Zune.

I closed the software and opened it again after some time, and noticed the number jump up to 700 or so. Anyways, few days later today and it's over a thousand plays and counting..

AND it looks like it's finally counting my device plays!

So, it appears to have been a MS-side issue...but who knows (nothing changed on my end that I'm aware of.)

Thanks a lot NSILMike for your help

Old 05-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #15
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

Quote:
Just letting everyone know that this problem seems to have fixed itself..

A few days ago, I ran the Zune Software and saw my play count jump from 0 to about 400. I looked at my Recent list and it had a bunch of songs that I hadn't played in forever, so I'm guessing it finally starting syncing stuff I listened to since the time I bought the Zune.

I closed the software and opened it again after some time, and noticed the number jump up to 700 or so. Anyways, few days later today and it's over a thousand plays and counting..

AND it looks like it's finally counting my device plays!

So, it appears to have been a MS-side issue...but who knows (nothing changed on my end that I'm aware of.)

Thanks a lot NSILMike for your help
1) Oh nooooo! I can see it now... tons of posts wondering how to stop the online playcount from going wild!

2) You are very welcome! (I enjoy debugging this stuff.)

Old 06-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #16
The Frederick
Squirt

The Frederick is on a distinguished road

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a similar problem. The overall play count increases, but the counts for individual artists doesn't seem to increase. At least, not when I go to my online profile. Also, on my Zune Card, the "recent" list is all grey, like it doesn't recognise the artists. It hasn't updated for a few days either.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:08 AM   #17
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frederick View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a similar problem. The overall play count increases, but the counts for individual artists doesn't seem to increase. At least, not when I go to my online profile. Also, on my Zune Card, the "recent" list is all grey, like it doesn't recognise the artists. It hasn't updated for a few days either.
That is just what it means. The albums aren't linked. To link them, right click an album cover in zune software and 'find album info.' then pick the right album to link. or allow the zune software to update metadata automatically, and it will link them slowly over time.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:46 AM   #18
The Frederick
Squirt

I've manually linked them using Zune Social Tagger. I'm in Australia though, does that have anything to do with it? I switch my region to US to link them, but if I have it on US when I use the Zune software, I can't log in. I'm just banjaxed, aren't I?

Last edited by The Frederick; 06-09-2011 at 05:48 AM.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #19
NSILMike
Support Team
Super Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frederick View Post
I've manually linked them using Zune Social Tagger. I'm in Australia though, does that have anything to do with it? I switch my region to US to link them, but if I have it on US when I use the Zune software, I can't log in. I'm just banjaxed, aren't I?
Linking just applies some custom metadata to the tracks... I can't imagine why your region would have any effect on this at all. However, if your tracks or their folders are write-protected, the data can't be applied to the file, and is saved externally in zunestore.sdf. Something may be messing that up...?

Old 06-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #20
The Frederick
Squirt

From what I can tell, it seems that connecting to the "Zune online database" is region-conditional. If I have my PC set on Australia, the Zune Social Tagger can't even connect to the online db.

It's also worth noting that under "Top Artists", it says "You have not played any songs thing month".

I managed to get 7 badges, which implies that I USED to be able to connect to the online db. What do you reckon, was I knocked off by the same software update that also blocked international users from the marketplace and disabled Mixview for them?

Last edited by The Frederick; 06-09-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Closed Thread