Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Games and Applications > Application Suggestions

Application Suggestions Have an awesome idea for an application? Feel free to share!

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #21
Xenon
Experienced Zuner

Xenon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xenon Send a message via MSN to Xenon

Okay now that I see what you are doing DartDart it makes more sense and is cleaner your way. Be interesting to test them both out though. With the start and select buttons and just touching the regions.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #22
Seb
Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! Boobies!
So mainstream, I'm a standard
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Seb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant futureSeb has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Seb Send a message via Skype™ to Seb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
how about tilt left for L and Tilt Right for R
What if you need to click both of them at the same time?

Old 04-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #23
Grim
Banned
Expert Zuner

Grim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Grim Send a message via MSN to Grim

What about this?

Old 04-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #24
Tiezep
Zewbie

Tiezep is on a distinguished road

I think grim is right on the money, however I think the R and L should be at the bottom of the screen and the start/select at the top

also adding in my personal taste I would invert the A and B (imagine running + jumping in super mario bros deluxe)

if grim wouldn't mind me editing his image a little I'd be happy to show my suggestion,
-Tyler

Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #25
XMR1

XMR1 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to XMR1 Send a message via MSN to XMR1 Send a message via Skype™ to XMR1

Why not go for landscape? The GBA Advance was landscape to, afaik.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #26
Tiezep
Zewbie

Tiezep is on a distinguished road

yay for MS paint!

this is grims pic modified (if it's gonna be vertical)

and horizontal (how I think it would work)

and if you need to save some screen space you can stack A and B vertically (I would it imagine it would work just as well)

I can't code but I'm throwing in my 2 cents,
-Tyler

Old 04-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #27
Grim
Banned
Expert Zuner

Grim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant futureGrim has a brilliant future

Tyler's version if I am correct

Old 04-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #28
XMR1

Send a message via ICQ to XMR1 Send a message via MSN to XMR1 Send a message via Skype™ to XMR1

Yes, the landscape looks good.
But on normal view the L & R buttons should definitely be at the top of the screen (just hold your Zune, it's quite comfortable with them at the top, but kinda painful to hold it with them on the lower screen).

Use thumbs for control cross and A & B and the index fingers being on the top of the screen, both in normal and landscape mode.

@Grim & Tiezep: On the original gameboy the A & B buttons where B & A (A being on the right), so you should leave it that way.

Last edited by XMR1; 04-21-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #29
Grim
Banned
Expert Zuner

That is why I made mine with the buttons how they are.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #30
XMR1

Yes, I know, but on the last image you flipped them (for Tyler, I know).

Old 04-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #31
Xenon
Experienced Zuner

Xenon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xenon Send a message via MSN to Xenon

Is anyone actually going to try and port a Gameboy emulator or what??

Old 04-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #32
dreads34
Zewbie

dreads34 is on a distinguished road

I think you guys should definitely check out the iPod touch/iPhone gba and gb emulators. They really work well. On the gba emulator they let you go vertically and horizontally, and when playing the game horizontally the buttons are outlined yet transparent, allowing you to know where the buttons are and see the screen at the same time. Vertically it's like a regular gameboy, with the actual screen display being widescreen, though it would be rather small on the Zune screen.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #33
HDRobot

HDRobot is on a distinguished road

OKAy. It isn't THAT big, but I just quickly put together a GameBoy Layout. Tilt the zune and press the buttons to change layout and mess around with it:

HERE-(download from .zip)

Old 04-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #34
iErikHD
Experienced Zuner

iErikHD is on a distinguished road

I have an iPod Touch and have used the GBA emulator on it. I like Grim's layouts, but I think it would be best to just have transparent buttons along the bottom (with the R+L buttons in the top respective corners) in landscape mode. I'm not sure if the Zune HD screen would be the optimal size for this, however I do believe it would look the best.

If someone is interested in looking at the GBA emulator on the iPod Touch for reference google/youtube "gpsphone"

Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #35
DartDart
Zuner

DartDart is on a distinguished road

New layout

Last edited by DartDart; 04-21-2010 at 05:14 PM.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #36
rubikscube10111
Zuner

Location: lol i thought you knew this already....you don't...i live on the vulcan planet dip S***
rubikscube10111 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartDart View Post
There was an XNA game it was a brick breaker clone and when you tapped it like an R and or L trigger the accelerometer would detect the movement and would act accordingly and lauch some bullets.

I was thinking something like that.

that looks cool but think about it would be cooler if it was at the top!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #37
DartDart
Zuner

DartDart is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubikscube10111 View Post
that looks cool but think about it would be cooler if it was at the top!

I think that the L&R buttons being within a short distance from the A&B
would allow people to act faster and hold the zune less awkwardly.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #38
HDRobot

HDRobot is on a distinguished road

What do you guys think of the program I created of this? Is it the "feel" of the game that you wanted?

Old 04-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #39
Solus
Squirt

Solus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Solus Send a message via MSN to Solus Send a message via Skype™ to Solus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRobot View Post
What do you guys think of the program I created of this? Is it the "feel" of the game that you wanted?
I dig it! The ability to seamlessly swap to landscape mode will be a treat. I think using Tiezep's layout for Landscape mode and DartDart's layout for normal view would be splendid.

I just had a thought. It may be more appropriate in a request board, so you have my fullest apologies if this isn't the time or place. It doesn't involve the control schemes or anything; rather, it involves the way the app will load game ROMs.

I just remembered this little tool called "It's Cool, He's With Me."
Quote:
ICHWM is a file packing utility.

It can be used to pack files into Zune™ compatible
images which may then be transferred to the Zune™
via the sync software for storage.
So basically, my thought was, reverse-engineer this program and incorporate it into the emulator (I admit I'm not entirely sure how doable this may be, or how the program works internally), so that the user encodes the game ROM and puts it into, say, "My Pictures -> ZGB" or something, when they load the emulator it will simply look within the Zune's memory for image files of that type and decode & load them like a normal ROM.

I realize this is quite a bit of extra work, but I personally find the thought of having to modify the source and re-deploy the emulator entirely just to add a single ROM... well, daunting and tedious, to say the least.

Cheers though, the progress thus far is superb!

Old 04-22-2010, 12:45 AM   #40
Netrix
Purger of Ignorance
Development Front
Retired Staff
Super Zuner²

Netrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud ofNetrix has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Netrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3XUZ View Post
So basically, my thought was, reverse-engineer this program and incorporate it into the emulator (I admit I'm not entirely sure how doable this may be, or how the program works internally), so that the user encodes the game ROM and puts it into, say, "My Pictures -> ZGB" or something, when they load the emulator it will simply look within the Zune's memory for image files of that type and decode & load them like a normal ROM.

I realize this is quite a bit of extra work, but I personally find the thought of having to modify the source and re-deploy the emulator entirely just to add a single ROM... well, daunting and tedious, to say the least.

Cheers though, the progress thus far is superb!
You would not have to modify the source to add ROMs. You would just need to add the extra ROMs to the XNA game (or when using deploykit, just add them to the Content folder), then redeploy.

Closed Thread