Go Back   Zune Boards > General Discussions > The Archives > H&M General Talk > Zune Hacks & Mods

Zune Hacks & Mods All Zune Hacks & Mods will be in here.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
alexjholland
Squirt

alexjholland is on a distinguished road
Default How do I go about replacing my Zune 80Gb battery? (I live in the United Kingdom!)

The battery on my 20-month-old Zune 80Gb is down to 2-3 hours, so could do with replacing fairly soon. I am in the UK and imported this Zune, so am on my own.

I am interested in upgrading it to a 950Mha battery as available in these 3 links:
www.smavbattery.co.uk
www.batteryupgrade.co.uk
www.fusionbattery.co.uk

Unfortunately the only guides I can find to replacing the battery are for the Zune 30Gb model.

I gather I will need some kind of star-shaped screwdriver to get inside - and then I may need to do some soldering to replace the battery?

I am quite adventurous, but have never soldered in my life. It is likely therefore I will find someone helpful to do it for me!

If anyone can supply me with:
- A decent guide to replacing an 80Gb Zune battery
- A place in the UK I can get the tools required to open it up ordered from
- Perhaps someone in the UK (or even Cambridgeshire) who is prepared to do it for me (for a fee)!

I might have to get a cheap iron and give it a go myself otherwise - but hope I won't have to!

It would be massively appreciated. I am looking forward to continuing to use this great music player for another couple of years at least.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Charge
If I'm not online, I probably am
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Retired Staff
Holy Zuner

Charge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant future

Rapid Repair do repairs, if you want to look into them.

ZUNE REPAIR TESTING: RapidRepair

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
alexjholland
Squirt

Hi, as stated, I'm in the UK - which lowers my options!

I can get hold of a really good battery, my only issue is how I should go about fitting it!

If I have no choice, I will have to solder it myself!

Old 03-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Charge
If I'm not online, I probably am
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Retired Staff
Holy Zuner

Charge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant future

Im in the UK.

Rapid Repair ships internationally.

But anyway - Rapid Repair - Zune 2 80GB Repair Guide by RapidRepair

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
alexjholland
Squirt

Hmm. Under current exchange rates it will cost me £46 for a Zune battery, Rapid Repair to fit it and shipping back to the UK - I don't think that even includes shipping from the UK!

This is too much money - and means no Zune for a while.

Thanks for the guide, but I found this earlier and it doesn't really go into specifics about the soldering - so I don't know what would need doing and how hard it would be.

Surely there must be a guide to changing the battery on the Zune 80Gb specifically? There is for the 30Gb.

It is annoying that I can get the battery very easily, and what I do when it arrives is probably very simple - but currently a mystery!