Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Help > General Zune Software

General Zune Software Ask for help regarding the Zune software. Zune Marketplace and Zune Pass issues also go here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
ivanalbright
Zewbie

ivanalbright is on a distinguished road
Default Zune Software v2.0 download location? -OR- Zune & Adobe Illustrator Conflict

VERSION OF ZUNE: Zune 1 30
VERSION OF ZUNE SOFTWARE/FIRMWARE: Was using the latest, none now. Zune updated to latest, but doesnt really apply.
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows XP MCE 2005 SP2, also same problem in Vista x64 (and I assume it occurs in every Windows OS)

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
=======================
I use Adobe Illustrator and have run into the acknowledged conflict between Illustrator and the new Zune software. I have researched everywhere but basically it seems there's no way to fix it (the Zune software causes an error and won't let Illustrator save properly). Adobe's answer is to simply not use the Zune software, which is not acceptable of course.

THINGS ATTEMPTED SO FAR
===========================
Researched on many forums and through customer support, no solution there. My only hope is that someone may have some secret fix here...OR

Some place to download the Zune v2.0 software for Windows XP 32bit? (It was hinted that the conflict only occurs in the Zune 2.1 and later software). I have found the 2.0 software on cnet download.com but only in the x64 bit version. Does anyone know where to download the 2.0 or perhaps email it to me? Thanks for any help!

HAVE YOU SEARCHED ONLINE/ZUNEBOARDS TO FIND A SOLUTION?
================================================== ========
Yep yep, no Illustrator search turned up.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
Justananomaly
The Digital Phantom
Retired Admin
Zune Lord

Justananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offer

I'm not sure where to find the 2.0 download (not even sure you could use it without it forcing the upgrade to 2.1 then 2.5)

However, if you can duplicate the error/bug then goto Start> Control Panel>Classic View>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer and look under programs and post me (using ctrl+c to copy) the exact error messages from both adobe/zune I can see if I can get you a work-around.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
ivanalbright
Zewbie

Thanks for the response. Yes the error is repeatable and happens every time you try to save an illustrator .Ai file if you have the Zune software installed.

Here's some more of the information you requested.

In the Event Viewer, the following message is displayed:
Faulting application illustrator.exe, version 12.0.128.0, faulting module bib.dll, version 1.1.17.1, fault address 0x0000cfc4. (note: fault address varies each time)

The actual error dialogue that pops up when you click okay to save reads:
"An unkown error has occured."
The Adobe knowledge base article for this problem is here:
adobe.com/go/kb403151

And here is a post by one of the MS Zune team dealing with this. It appeared on the Adobe forums and on the Zune forums.
(note that this was posted months ago and the Adobe site displays they have known about the error since Febrary 08, but no update has been made).
Quote:
Zach Johnson_1 - 1:14pm Apr 24, 08 PST (#165 of 175)

Attention...

This is the adobe kb for this issue: kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb403151&sliceId=1

The Zune Team has investigated this issue. The issue is that Zune(2.1 and greater, along with many other applications) send input (via virtual keys) prior to setting foreground window. Zune does this at startup...and when a device is connected. Most apps use a specific virtual key for this, and in this case after the adobe app gets this key it will fail to save.

We have contacted adobe support with this information along with a sample repro to allow them to resolve the issue with input handling.

_Zach Johnson(zjohnson@microsoft.com)
Zune Product Team
This posting is provided as-is with no warranties, and confers no rights.
And so, you might see why I'm frustrated. If you happen to have any ideas I'd love to hear them. Otherwise I'd still love to find the 2.0 version of the Zune software to see if that will work.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
ivanalbright
Zewbie

Also, just a little information for anybody else with this problem. You CAN still save .Ai files if you hide all the layers before saving.

Unfortunately when you hide the layers you can't save or export the final version .pdf file to send to print, and there's no work around for that...a big problem.

I've verified the Zune software is the only thing affecting this through uninstallation and reinstallation of both programs several times.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
Justananomaly
The Digital Phantom
Retired Admin
Zune Lord

Justananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offerJustananomaly is the best the web has to offer

All I can suggest is running one at a time really, virtual keys are a pain in the behind to deal with. The only thing I can suggest is running the zune software in compatibility mode with windows 2000 (Pre-DRM components because the instuctions the program sends pre-foreground window all deal with DRM validation). You will lose the ability to view the marketplace or download podcasts, but at least you will be able to sync and illustrator should work just fine.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
ivanalbright
Zewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justananomaly View Post
All I can suggest is running one at a time really, virtual keys are a pain in the behind to deal with. The only thing I can suggest is running the zune software in compatibility mode with windows 2000 (Pre-DRM components because the instuctions the program sends pre-foreground window all deal with DRM validation). You will lose the ability to view the marketplace or download podcasts, but at least you will be able to sync and illustrator should work just fine.
Good idea; I was hoping that would work but unfortunately it didn't. FYI I tried running both the Zune and Illustrator software in compatibility mode and tried turning off the "Advanced text services for this program" but with no luck.

For now I just switched over to using foobar2000 to play music instead of Zune. Obviously syncing is a problem though.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
soljin
Zewbie

soljin is on a distinguished road

I have found that I can save until I've run Zune once. But after I run Zune I have to reboot before I can save again. Even if I kill all the Zune processes.

Closed Thread