Go Back   Zune Boards > General Discussions > The Archives

The Archives Classic threads from more simple times.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
ben3308
Zuner

ben3308 has disabled reputation
Default [SOLVED] Zune freezes while changing tracks! Help!

Okay, so today when I turned my Zune on, it froze on me while playing a song, then died. I assumed this was just because I'd exhausted my battery; so no problem, I plugged it in and everything went fine.

Well later in the day when I was going through to see what songs I'd synced (I played every song alphabetically in the Zune's "songs" section for about 10 seconds each), I noticed switching between songs got slower and slower.

Naturally, I assumed I was just overwhelming the processor and the HD, and it couldn't catch up to me flipping back and forth so quickly. Well tonight, after syncing and then unplugging the device to listen to some tunes, I find it frezing up for about 45 seconds EVERY TIME I try to go to the next track in a playlist. Things like audio options and "show song list" in the submenu also lag.

Anybody have ANY idea what's going on? I mean, this is rendering listening to any music whatsoever completely useless, so can anyone tell me: what's the deal here?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-06-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Gow
RIP 2007-2011
Retired Admin
Premium Member
Expert Zuner

Gow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant futureGow has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Gow Send a message via MSN to Gow Send a message via Skype™ to Gow
Default Re: Zune freezes while changing tracks! Help!

Some more details would be nice. Like what audio codec you are using and at what bitrate. How many songs? How many videos? How much free space? Have you tried a format and resync? Et Cetera.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
lpxxfaintxx
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

lpxxfaintxx is a name known to alllpxxfaintxx is a name known to alllpxxfaintxx is a name known to alllpxxfaintxx is a name known to all

Try resetting your Zune. (Back and Up) See if that helps.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
ben3308
Zuner

Sorry, I was a little shrot on the details. All my videos are from the ZB movie database, save some of my own short films, all are at their respective appropriate bitrates. I don't have those specifics now, cause I've deleted the source files themselves from my computer.

Most songs have bitrates of 128kbps or 192kbps, and until I added "The Departed" to my Zune (again, downloaded from the ZB database), everything ran fine. One possibility is the addition of the song "Roll to Me", which I acquired via torrent, the first song of mine to be had by such means. (I use Ares and the like)

I find myself resetting the Zune almost every other time I turn it on, as it freezes during the 'zoom' transition when I click a song to start playing. Videos, on the other hand, play just fine.

I've deleted all my music (not the videos, as I don't have enough computer HD space to back 'em up") off of my Zune and tried only re-syncing a certain amount of songs on a playlist, and this still proved to no avail.

Anything other information that would be beneficial that I can provide I'm more than willing to offer. I'd really like to see this resolved.

Thanks everyone.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
PityOnU
Super Zuner

PityOnU is a jewel in the roughPityOnU is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to PityOnU Send a message via MSN to PityOnU Send a message via Yahoo to PityOnU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben3308
Sorry, I was a little shrot on the details. All my videos are from the ZB movie database, save some of my own short films, all are at their respective appropriate bitrates. I don't have those specifics now, cause I've deleted the source files themselves from my computer.

Most songs have bitrates of 128kbps or 192kbps, and until I added "The Departed" to my Zune (again, downloaded from the ZB database), everything ran fine. One possibility is the addition of the song "Roll to Me", which I acquired via torrent, the first song of mine to be had by such means. (I use Ares and the like)

I find myself resetting the Zune almost every other time I turn it on, as it freezes during the 'zoom' transition when I click a song to start playing. Videos, on the other hand, play just fine.

I've deleted all my music (not the videos, as I don't have enough computer HD space to back 'em up") off of my Zune and tried only re-syncing a certain amount of songs on a playlist, and this still proved to no avail.

Anything other information that would be beneficial that I can provide I'm more than willing to offer. I'd really like to see this resolved.

Thanks everyone.
I'm no expert, but it sounds as though your RAM isn't clearing itself (is this even possible?).

On top of not being sure if that's what the problem is, I also have no idea how to fix it

Sorry, at least it bumped your thread, though

Old 02-07-2007, 05:20 AM   #6
rutger1413
Jr. Zuner

rutger1413 is on a distinguished road

Do a restore from the menu. See if that works.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
stealth3sx
Zewbie

stealth3sx has disabled reputation

My Zune did the same thing. Worked fine for about a month, and now its super slow. Everysong takes like 3-5 seconds to load, and each song skips for the first 20 seconds...I had to call Microsoft, and they are sending me a new one. So far i wish I had bought an ipod.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
ben3308
Zuner

Whoa, really? I think I'm gonna call MS. Interestingly, the problem is worse when I try to go back one track rather than forwards, and it's not as bad on more recently synced songs. Could this be because when something new is added or played, it's 'fresher' in the RAM than the old items?

Old 01-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
saab900
Super Zuner

saab900 is a jewel in the roughsaab900 is a jewel in the rough

Its not a matter of Ram or memory or all that jazz, its Firmware 2.3 I did not add or remove anything since the 2.3 update and I have gone from quick seamless operation(2.2 i think) to freezing or stuttering as I cal it, atleast once a day.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
sowhatu

sowhatu is on a distinguished road

could the zune Hard Drive be fragmented badly??

cause it is.... a hard drive....

if so, how do u defrag the zune HD?

Last edited by sowhatu; 01-29-2008 at 09:48 PM. Reason: more info

Old 01-30-2008, 08:51 AM   #11
scrizz

scrizz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to scrizz

i don't know about defragmenting the zune hd, but you could try erasing it and then putting the content back on.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
nal_ra
Squirt

nal_ra is on a distinguished road

happens to me too, but thru having zune since day 1,
i think microsoft makes a lot of a bit faulty ones...
had to exchange my zune 3 times.
anyhow, try and contact them, and see how it works out!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #13
CameleonMK
ShakableParrot
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

CameleonMK has a spectacular aura aboutCameleonMK has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to CameleonMK

Odd how that never happened to me. I think it has something to do with the 3 original colors.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
spiceNurlife
Zewbie

spiceNurlife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to spiceNurlife

My Zune Did The Exact Same Thing. When Skipping Thru The Tracks It Would Freexe For A Bout 5 Minutes, Then It Will Start Playing Again. And It Seem Like Everytime I Did That It Would Freeze Even Longer. Until 1 Night It Would Not Come Back On. I Even Tried To Charge It. Nothing. Its A Good Thing I Had My Warentee. It Took It Back And Got A New One And Its Working Fine So Far.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #15
jackluo923
Senior Zuner

jackluo923 has a spectacular aura aboutjackluo923 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to jackluo923

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameleonMK View Post
Odd how that never happened to me. I think it has something to do with the 3 original colors.
It never happend to me too. I'm using a black referbished zune 30 bought in Canadian retail store.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #16
sowhatu

sowhatu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackluo923 View Post
It never happend to me too. I'm using a black referbished zune 30 bought in Canadian retail store.
same here, i got mine at "XS Cargo" in hamilton, ontario.

never had a problem with it (knock on wood).

paid $130.00 for it, and worth every penny.

used it several times already as a hard drive to transfer well over 100 movies and tv shows.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #17
thehollywood
Zuner

thehollywood has disabled reputation

A long time ago, back before the 2.0 firmware I had a similiar problem. It was very frustrating, but eventually it went away and my Zune is working fine now. I to this day don't understand what exactly was happening, I think maybe I bumped it/dropped it at one point?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:28 AM   #18
cariyawa
Zewbie

cariyawa is on a distinguished road
Default Same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab900 View Post
Its not a matter of Ram or memory or all that jazz, its Firmware 2.3 I did not add or remove anything since the 2.3 update and I have gone from quick seamless operation(2.2 i think) to freezing or stuttering as I cal it, atleast once a day.
Yes. I bought a brand new zune, before two weeks ago that they come with new firmware 2.3. After upgrading to 2.3 I faced the same problem. Then I downgraded to 1.4(because I couldn't find 2.2 which works fine for me) and now it is working like a charm. So I am sure that it is not a problem of RAM or hard drive fragmentation.