Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Help > General Zune Software

General Zune Software Ask for help regarding the Zune software. Zune Marketplace and Zune Pass issues also go here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 05:11 AM   #1
Cdammen
Squirt

Cdammen is on a distinguished road
Question [SOLVED] Zune software recognizing but not adding all songs to library

Remove the underscore (_) to view the URLs. Sorry for breaking the rules but I won't post five unnecessary bloat post just to have the "privilege" of posting images/links

I have 1043 songs in my music folder. All properly tagged (Artist, Title, Album, Track, Disc, Year, Genre and Cover Art), ripped by me using EAC and LAME 3.97b at the V2 setting (VBR) and organized into a neat folder structure.

The Zune software recognizes all my songs but doesn't add six of them. Let's take one of my albums, Final Fantasy XII (Original Soundtrack).

Entering the folder containing these files it says...

...yeah that's Swedish. There are 100 tracks in this album. But when the Zune software recognizes these it only adds 99. The ones left out vary. It's either a song named Esper Battle or one just called Esper.

What gives? My files are flawlessly ID3 tagged and are recognized even by WMP11

Last edited by Cdammen; 12-15-2007 at 12:12 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-14-2007, 05:19 AM   #2
Cdammen
Squirt

Template added for convenience.

Version of Zune: None, waiting for my 30gb to arrive.
Version of Zune software/firmware: Latest
Operating system: Windows XP Pro SP2
Have you searched online/Zune Boards to find a solution?: Yes and Googled like crazy
Have you recieved any error messages?: None

(EDIT 1) Sorry, I hit the Quote button instead of the Edit one.
(EDIT 2) I also use ID3v2.3 and the Zune software and the player itself support all of my files, I've double-checked.
(EDIT 3) The song Turn Your Lights Down Low by Bob Marley is also sometimes replaced by Lauryn Hill's version but still retains it original name and not the remix's. Gnah! What is happening?

Last edited by Cdammen; 12-14-2007 at 07:57 AM.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
jce2005
Experienced Zuner

jce2005 is on a distinguished road

Yup, that's strange.......but it's happen to me too..........4 files out of 11,141 don't get synchronized.
Also,like you, all my MP3's are perfectly tagged and checked if some of them are corrupt or have bad frames. Also everything shows in WMP11 and the Zune2 software, but 4 files aren't synchronized. I even found these missing files.

NOW you can start laughing......hahahaha..........

These files are recordings of my little Parakeet, saying :
"Good Morning Daddy"
I have 5 different recordings of the "Good Morning Daddy", but I named them in the ID3 v2 Tag like :

Good Morning Daddy
Good Morning Daddy 2
Good Morning Daddy 3....... etc.

I also changed the file names. So everything, tag and file names are unique and should sync. But whatever I do, some of these files don't get synced. It seems like the Zuune v2 software looks at the file and "thinks" it might be the same and just does't sync it.

And the funny thing is, I have "Good Morning Daddy 2 and 3" on the Zune and then "forcefully" right click on "Good Morning Daddy 4" and choose "sync with Zune" then the file #4 gets synced, but file number 2 is removed from the Zune.

Very strange behavior. A similar problem I have with the song "Yesterday" and since I have about 11 different version of this song ( several Beatles, Carpenters, etc. ) I wonder if they have troubes too.........Gotta check it.

Cheers,

JCE

Last edited by jce2005; 12-14-2007 at 08:12 AM.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:14 AM   #4
Cdammen
Squirt

Thanks for the reply jce2005 but it's not a syncing problem that I'm having. The problem is that the Zune software finds all files in my music folder (on the computer's HDD) but doesn't add a few of them that have similar names (but still unique) to the software's library. It also seems that it's getting ID3 data from one file and applying it to another.

I've tried removing the files and adding them again. Compressing the files to reset the timestamp and I even drag & dropped the missing/mismatched ones into the right album in the Zune software library. No luck whatsoever.

Last edited by Cdammen; 12-14-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
jce2005
Experienced Zuner

Hi again,

Sorry, I got you confused by adding something incorrect !!! My bad !! It shows in WMP 11 correctly, BUT NOT in the Zune 2 software or when syncing.

So I guess we have the same problem since I also tried to reset the time and date stamp and changed tags, etc. the Zune 2 Software still thinks it's the same song and doesn't add it to the library nor does it sync it right.

Even using the "MS Zune Library Reset Tool" after changing the files didn't help. I really wonder what causes this behavior. I do not use the Zune 2 Software to automatically retrieve and/or update any info on my MP3's ( all that is unchecked in the settings ) so the files do NOT get changed by the Z2S but the Z2S still thinks ( obviously ) that I have double files.
That's goofy !!!!

Cheers,

JCE

Old 12-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
valed0r
Zuner

valed0r is on a distinguished road

i've got one doubt, regarding the addition to library... is it possible to edit the info of the song album, etc? on the zune software?

Old 12-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
jce2005
Experienced Zuner

Yeah,

I can change some tags in the Zune Software and also change any tag using a 3rd party tagging prog............. but that doesn't solve the problem either !!

Any thoughts ??

Cheers,

JCE

Old 12-15-2007, 06:52 AM   #8
Khu
Zuner

Khu is on a distinguished road

Usually in the past, when I have had problems with songs not importing, it turned out to be the tagging. Not the values in the tags but the format of the tags.

The format of the tags can cause songs not to be imported, songs imported with incorrect information, and duplicate songs on the Zune.

I would recommend using a program like mp3Tag. It allows for you to edit the tags directly and allows for saving in multiple formats.

Please see this thread for screenshots of my mp3Tag settings.

http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/gen...g-library.html

Old 12-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #9
Cdammen
Squirt

Thanks for the tip Khu. I've upgraded my tags to ID3v2.4 and now they both show up... but that's because the Zune software doesn't read the tags. It says "Unknown" in every field

(EDIT) Picture added for clarification.

Last edited by Cdammen; 12-15-2007 at 12:14 PM.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #10
Khu
Zuner

You will probably want to go back into mp3Tag and make sure there are values for all of the missing fields. After you load the tracks into mp3Tag, to the left you will see fields for Artist, Album, Year, Genre, etc. Make sure those are populated and save again.

You may also want to make sure have set the options for writing both v1 and v2 tags. You can see that on the same screenshot I posted earlier of the mp3Tag options.

You can also switch to List view from within the Zune software and get to the Album and Artist field I believe. When viewing Collection --> Music, look to the top of the song list on the right and you will find Browse and List. Browse displays album covers and List displays a report-like format.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:04 PM   #11
Cdammen
Squirt

I forgot to check to write v1 and it's now fixed... but now I have the same problems as I did have before. Nothing has changed. The Zune software gets ID3 info from one song, applies it to the other and doesn't display the two songs at the same time. It's like it's thinking that the two songs are the same one.

Ungh. The Zune software is such a hassle to use :|

(EDIT) OK, ignore the mixing up the meta data part. It seems fixed now but only one of the songs show up at a time.

Last edited by Cdammen; 12-15-2007 at 12:08 PM.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #12
Khu
Zuner

When posible, please post a screenshot of your mp3Tag settings as well as a screenshot of the values you are setting for each song. I'd like to see if I can find what might be causing that.

EDIT: Also, I would do the entire album at one time rather than try to address just the problem songs. When you post those screenshots, if you would, please load up the entire album.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #13
Dizzy
Joe the Plumber
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Dizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Dizzy

You might also try rebuilding your library.
See the methods here: http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/gen...re-issues.html

Hope you get everything worked out.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #14
Cdammen
Squirt

MP3Tag values (click thumbnail to enlarge)

MP3Tag settings

I really appreciate the help Khu! I've changed the ID3 version for all the songs in my "Singles" album. Still... the two Bob Marley songs don't show up at the same time.

*sobs*

(EDIT 1) Thanks Dizzy, I've done it every time I've changed an ID3 tag just to be sure.
(EDIT 2) I've also tried the "Band" value with no success. Wow this is beginning to look hopeless

Last edited by Cdammen; 12-15-2007 at 12:30 PM.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:52 PM   #15
Khu
Zuner

They seem to be set correctly and for the life of me, I can't see a problem with them importing. Without the BAND value, I can see them importing as one track per album but that's the only thing that jumps out at me. I'm really at a loss on those. I know this will be a pain but since you are already in pain...

Try removing the tags. On your settings window, you will see at the bottom where you can remove various formats of tags. Deselect everything but the removal of the tags, select all tracks, and save. I would try it in this order...
  • Remove the songs from the Zune and then from the collection.
  • Use mp3Tag to remove the tags as I described above.
  • Save the tracks.
  • Change the options back to the values in your screenshot.
  • Select all tracks, go to the Tools menu, and select the Auto Renumbering Wizard. Set the values to renumber the tracks.
  • While all are selected, save the tracks.
  • On the left, set all of the common values (Album, Genre, Year, etc.).
  • While all tracks are selected, right-click and select Extended Tags.
  • If BAND is not present, click the top button in the middle to add it. When the next dialog appears, select BAND from the dropdown and add Various Artists as the value. Click OK through the dialogs.
  • Save the tracks.

Now, individually copy the track name from the filename field and paste in in the Title value to the left. Save each track individually by selecting the track then hitting the save button.

Once you have finished with all tracks, re-import into the Collection.

Hopefully, this will fix the problem. Stripping all of the tags should set you back to square one. Although a pain to get all of the info back, in the past this has helped with some particularly stubborn tracks that didn't seem to want to get grouped.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:20 PM   #16
Cdammen
Squirt

Hey! That seemed to do the trick! But now my artist are split up into one "Singles" album each in the browse view. I thought that they would be collected under "Various Artists" when I use the BAND tag :/

(EDIT) Solved it. Thanks for the help all!

I think the problem was that I didn't have any unique track numbers. They were all set to 1.

Last edited by Cdammen; 12-15-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #17
Khu
Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdammen View Post
Hey! That seemed to do the trick! But now my artist are split up into one "Singles" album each in the browse view. I thought that they would be collected under "Various Artists" when I use the BAND tag :/
They should have been. But for overkill, you can also set an Album Artist tag in the same way as I described setting the BAND tag.

For my own particularly stubborn album, when it got to the point the only thing that wasn't working was grouping them, I loaded the album into Windows Media Player and kept dragging and dropping the songs on top of each other until they were all set. After that, when I reimported them into the Collection, it was fixed.

Yeah, I know all of this can be a pain but hopefully, you will only find a few albums in the entire Collection that will be quite so obstinate.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #18
Dizzy
Joe the Plumber
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Dizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Dizzy

Well done Khu

Glad you got things worked out Cdammen

Closed Thread