Go Back   Zune Boards > General Discussions > The Archives

The Archives Classic threads from more simple times.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
LokiCaprion
Zewbie

LokiCaprion is on a distinguished road
Default Zune will not Sync; tried many solutions before posting!

Alright, hopefully someone can help. If you think you can, please make sure you read every different thing I've tried, here... I really have done everything I could see on these forums, and I'm at the end of my rope! I leave for Las Vegas in a week, and if I don't have my Zune for the flight, I may just have to choke somebody.

SYSTEM INFORMATION!
3.0 GHz AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 6000
4 GB RAM
Windows Vista (32-bit)
300 GB Hard drive (130 GB free)

ZUNE INFORMATION!
30GB Zune (Black)
Firmware 2.2 (see below)
Using official Sync cable, plugged into the back USB port (directly into the motherboard)

THE LEGACY
When I first got my Zune about a month ago, everything worked fine. I installed the software from the CD, and it synced flawlessly. This put several songs on my Zune, but I hadn't organized my MP3s enough to put on a REAL collection. I've been putting it off until last week, when I was starting to get ready for my Vegas trip.

I attempt to connect my Zune on Friday, after sticking my MP3s in there. The software loads all my music, but every time I connect my Zune the software would detect it, then immediately crash. Thinking the problem would be solved by a software update, I attempted this. Gets to 100%... the package 'Zune' could not be installed. DIFXAPP: Rollback failed with error 0x2. Error code: 0x80070643.

A little peeved, I thought maybe a full re-install could solve things. Downloaded the official Zune software. Attempted to install the Zune software. Gets to 100%... the package 'Zune' could not be installed. DIFXAPP: Rollback failed with error 0x2. Error code: 0x80070643.

I run Windows Update. Install all the recommended crap. Try installing the Zune software, again... Gets to 100%... the package 'Zune' could not be installed. DIFXAPP: Rollback failed with error 0x2. Error code: 0x80070643.

I look for help on the Microsoft Update, thanks to the link that the Zune error gives me. It tells me to download the "Zune Package". I do so, and attempt to install the Zune software from THAT. Gets to 100%... the package 'Zune' could not be installed. DIFXAPP: Rollback failed with error 0x2. Error code: 0x80070643.

I look for help from places OTHER than Microsoft and find these forums. It suggests to install from the original CD without an active net connection. I attempt this; "Zune cannot be install on your current operating system." I attempt to install with the CD, but with the internet active. Gets to 100%... the package 'Zune' could not be installed. DIFXAPP: Rollback failed with error 0x2. Error code: 0x80070643.

Looking further through the forums, I find SZIPv2. Not feeling too confident at this point, I download it.... and the software installs! I now have, functioning, the Zune software provided via SZIPv2. Perfect.

I connect my Zune, and I'm prompted to update my firmware to Version 2.2. "This could prevent future problems," I think. I update my firmware. Now my Zune is telling me I have to update my Zune software. I attempt to upgrade the software. Gets to 100%... the package 'Zune' could not be installed. DIFXAPP: Rollback failed with error 0x2. Error code: 0x80070643.

Thinking I would just have to downgrade my Firmware to get it work with whatever software version is in SZIPv2, I attempt to do this. I got the Java, and renamed the cab file, and all the good stuff. A ping to go.microsoft.com returns 127.0.0.1 after I change my DNS settings. I attempt to downgrade my firmware... nothing happens.

So, now I have a Zune with absolutely nothing on it but firmware 2.2 which says my software isn't up to date, and a software that refuses to update.

Please tell me SOMEONE can help!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Dizzy
Joe the Plumber
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Dizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Dizzy

You might look at the rollback fix here: http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/gen...re-issues.html

Old 12-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
LokiCaprion
Zewbie

Oh, I forgot to mention that. I ran the cleanup; no Zune stuff was even in there to be cleaned out.

When I created the registry key, the error changed from "Rollback" to just plain "fatal error." Zune wasn't installed in the directory, even after the install program errored out.

EDIT: To avoid double posting; I should only be looking for "Zune" when I run the cleanup utility, right? I didn't want to clear out ALL that junk.

Also, when I go into regedit, there IS no key for "Installer", so I actually had to create that.

Last edited by LokiCaprion; 12-03-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
Dizzy
Joe the Plumber
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Dizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to allDizzy is a name known to all

First off, thanks for providing so much info up front. That should really help us.

Unfortunately, you've got yourself quite a mess. I'm sure you've tried it already, but maybe a reinstall/reboot might help somewhat.

Also, is this package you're download the full 166 MB one?

As far as the registry cleaning goes, I'd download a program (I use RegistryBooster 2) and have it clean everything for you.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
LokiCaprion
Zewbie

The official Zune Package off the Microsoft site was 166 MB, yes. Is it possible that my not having an "Installer" key in my registry to begin with was causing problems?

Last edited by LokiCaprion; 12-03-2007 at 06:41 PM. Reason: I said "yes" twice in a row... and it bothered me. >_>

Old 12-03-2007, 06:49 PM   #6
Dizzy
Joe the Plumber
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

I don't think so.

Another route to go would be to download an installation monitor and view the log to see exactly where the software craps out on you.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
LokiCaprion
Zewbie

Just an update... I actually am so desperate I bought Registry Booster 2. It found 503 problems, which I repaired. Restarted the system, and attempted the Zune installation, again. It went through "Checking for Updates", then it went to "Preparing your computer". It went up to 100%, then back down to 0%. Then it hopped up to about 15%, looked like it was extracting something, and then out of nowhere asked if I was sure I wanted to abort installation. Before I could reply, the installation process restarted itself!

This time, the "Checking for updates" and "Preparing your computer" were both skipped right away, and it went straight into the installing. It got to 100%... and gave me the rollback error, again.

There's $30 wasted. >_<

Old 12-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
Dizzy
Joe the Plumber
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

D'oh. I could have "gotten" it for you if you had said you were interested.

Really, I think the best way to fix this is going to be a complete reinstall of your Windows OS. There's a thread around here that tells you how to do it without losing any information (probably in tutorials/technology).

Old 12-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #9
LokiCaprion
Zewbie

I FOUND A FIX FOR THIS!

ZuneBoards guys, you may want to add this to the list of ways to fix the Zune rollback error for installation/upgrade!

After fighting and fighting with this thing, I did one desperate websearch, and came across this guy's blog:

http://www.lockergnome.com/digged/20...ort-is-a-joke/

One of the comments is from someone named "Justin", to whom I now owe a great debt. He somehow figured out that you can fix the rollback error problem by turning ON the Windows Firewall. That's right, turn it ON. I don't know how this has any effect, whatsoever, on a Zune's software installation, but I now have a happily Syncted and loaded Zune, ready for my flight to Vegas!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
Dizzy
Joe the Plumber
Retired Staff
Ultimate Zuner

Duly Noted! Added to the rollback fix. And nice work

Old 08-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
spotswoodchc
Zewbie

spotswoodchc is on a distinguished road
Default error code: 0x80070643

Hey, so I just got a 30 gig white zune and haven't been able to install the software. Except for the synching error my problem is the same as you've been discussing. I keep getting the error code: 0x80070643.
From what I've gathered from this forum and a couple others all I need to do to fix it is activate the windows firewall software. However, when I go to turn it on it says that Windows Firewall with Advanced security snap-in failed to load and to restart the firewall service on the computer i'm managing. I don't know if how to go about fixing this. For all I know its incredibly simple however I've never been tech savy.
Any help you can provide would be great!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #12
spotswoodchc
Zewbie

spotswoodchc is on a distinguished road

ok so I just went and fiddled with the settings again. and it worked!
thanks so much for all the info you guys posted on here!