Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Games and Applications > Application Suggestions

Application Suggestions Have an awesome idea for an application? Feel free to share!

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
tnap

Default Just out of blunt curiosity

Does OpenZDK have the ability to record audio on the device? Think: recording audio off the radio. Now, I'm not asking for this kind of app to be made, as it probably would be illegal, but I'd like to know if the functionality exists.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

boohbah11 has a spectacular aura aboutboohbah11 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnap View Post
Does OpenZDK have the ability to record audio on the device? Think: recording audio off the radio. Now, I'm not asking for this kind of app to be made, as it probably would be illegal, but I'd like to know if the functionality exists.
I don't know if thats illegal or not, I know my brother used to have a 3rd party mp3 that could do that.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
Locke
Not to be trifled with
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

It's not illegal. It may be physically possible, but I'd suspect it'd have to be built from the ground up, which would not be an easy task.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

While we're discussing the possibilities of ozdk, can it receive input from external sources, for example headphones with in-line volume control?

Old 02-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
runewake2
Experienced Zuner

runewake2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to runewake2

I don't think headphones with volume controls have any output to receive. To my knowledge it is a simple mechanical thing, nothing more, that is used to alter volume. Or are you referring to something else?

Old 02-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by runewake2 View Post
I don't think headphones with volume controls have any output to receive. To my knowledge it is a simple mechanical thing, nothing more, that is used to alter volume. Or are you referring to something else?
some of them may be that way, but then they should still work with the zune. ones with pause/play functions would require some output though

Old 02-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
runewake2
Experienced Zuner

Those usually require drivers to work, most drivers are written in assembly... and trust me, you don't want to do assembly. ever. But if you want explore the possibility, might have some interesting results and I may have overlooked something.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
boohbah11
Graduate Zuner

Sounds good, I may just look into someday when I'm feeling ambitious.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
runewake2
Experienced Zuner

Also, you would have to write the drivers by hand, not use someone elses. I don't think that Zune HD's run x86 processors (what most PC's run) so you would need something custom which is advanced stuff.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
Locke
Not to be trifled with
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Also, you would have to write the drivers by hand, not use someone elses. I don't think that Zune HD's run x86 processors (what most PC's run) so you would need something custom which is advanced stuff.
Fairly certain it's ARM. An ARM11 and ARM7.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
runewake2
Experienced Zuner

I've never written Assembly on ARM on x86 and MIPS so I can't say how difficult it will be, assembly is not a very easy place to start though. Start with some high level languages before going to the low level stuff.

Wait, didn't the Windows 8 keynote have an ARM processor? interesting.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #12
Locke
Not to be trifled with
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Quote:
I've never written Assembly on ARM on x86 and MIPS so I can't say how difficult it will be, assembly is not a very easy place to start though. Start with some high level languages before going to the low level stuff.

Wait, didn't the Windows 8 keynote have an ARM processor? interesting.
ARM has long been used in mobile devices. Virtually every one runs on ARM, from phones to tablets to gaming systems. Windows 8 is getting ARM support to make for a proper tablet OS.

Closed Thread