Go Back   Zune Boards > Zune Discussions > Zune Talk

Zune Talk Talk anything related to the Zune.

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
porksoda
Zewbie

porksoda is on a distinguished road
Default Actual capacity of 120GB zune?

Hi, I was hoping someone could tell me how much space (in GB not # of songs please!) the 120 zune actually has. What I mean by this is is the zune like my stupid 160gb ipod that actually only holds 140-something? I want to buy a zune but before I do I'd like to make sure it has the capacity to store my entire music library.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Arfy
Beep beep zoop
Retired Global
Ultimate Zuner

Arfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to beholdArfy is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to Arfy

Probably about 110-116. Not entirely sure how much the software takes up.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
porksoda
Zewbie

ah so not an obscene 20GB for a scrolling menu like my ipod?

thats good news... thanks arfy, can anyone else confirm this?

Old 10-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Charge
If I'm not online, I probably am
Senior Editor
Support Team
GFX Crew
Premium Member
Retired Staff
Holy Zuner

Charge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant futureCharge has a brilliant future

It should be around 3/4. Nothing more than that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Locke
Is the order a rabbit?
Senior Editor
Super Moderator
Demi Zuner

Locke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to beholdLocke is a splendid one to behold

The 20 missing gigabytes on your iPod is not all firmware. Most of it is a well-known marketing ploy. The GB they quote on the box assumes that it is 1E9 (1,000,000,000) bytes. Computers define bytes in binary, so it's not a nice number like that; an actual, computer defined gigabyte is 1,073,741,824 bytes. Your iPod's 160 GB ends up being formatted at about 149 GB. The rest is taken by firmware and other low-level data. 120 GB for the Zune ends up being about 112 GB after formatting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
porksoda
Zewbie

ahh, ok cool. Thanks guys!

Closed Thread